PLANNING
Winter Camp XXX - 2006

Leadership

PositionYouthAdult
Overall:Aaron AnkielPaul Kupser
Activities:Chris CorbinEthan Rein
Kitchen:OpenSteve Donohue
Trading Post:OpenMark Bollman-->
Newspaper:OpenMark Bollman-->

Information

Schedule

Current Roster

Feel free to post your thoughts and comments on planning for Winter Camp XXX!

Name and E-mail

Your name

Your e-mail address

Your Comments


Check out what everyone else is saying:
E-mail addresses and names are not guaranteed to be who they say they are.
That being said, we should tell you that the webmaster can tell who said what.

On Sunday, 31-Dec-2006 09:26:23 EST, said
5h1pwr3cked = t0ta7 pwnag3 of vydspazs

On Friday, 29-Dec-2006 20:56:01 EST, John said
Yesterday, Tile was laid, nails were pulled and two really big, hot fires were made.

On Friday, 29-Dec-2006 20:39:37 EST, Lou said
What No updates from camp?

On Tuesday, 26-Dec-2006 19:00:38 EST, Kristie said
7:30 a.m. at Bollman's house.

On Tuesday, 26-Dec-2006 15:09:02 EST, gabe said
Where and when is the carpool tomorrow.

On Monday, 25-Dec-2006 22:03:47 EST, Steve said
Paul just called to report that there is no snow on the ground at BC. He is in the building now...

On Monday, 25-Dec-2006 19:52:44 EST, said
Whoa, I thought the shopping happened the day after Christmas. I must be slipping in my old age.

On Monday, 25-Dec-2006 10:48:20 EST, Steve said
Shopping yesterday went pretty well. We had Aaron, Rob, Ethan, Mike, Paul, Doug, Jeff, Lou, John, Keith, Steve, and Mark on hand for the shopping (or at least part of it). Highlights of the trip included the presence of Louis Olin, meeting Paul's mom (who works at Sam's), a stop at the Meijer Recipe card display where Ethan and Steve collected one of each recipe for next year, Jeff boasting about the maneuverablility of his cart, a cell phone survey, looking at some pictures of Jess' dad when he was a scout (circa 1948) and a stop at Wendy's.
At Wendy's, Kristie and her friend Jessica had saved us seats. We ate and of course, had the traditional frosty's before heading home.

On Saturday, 23-Dec-2006 20:02:43 EST, Steve Donohue said
Let's plan to meet at 10:00 am at Sam's in Southgate. If you want to stop by my house first, please don't come earlier than 9:30 am.
Thanks.

On Saturday, 23-Dec-2006 16:30:30 EST, Tim said
Well - If shopping is at 10:00 I might not ba able to make it. I have family things to do... :S

On Saturday, 23-Dec-2006 13:02:42 EST, Ethan said
I'll see everyone for Shopping on Sunday. It should be awesome. Does anyone know how we're looking for rides on the 27th? I can take two more and gear or three more and only some gear.

On Saturday, 23-Dec-2006 08:47:41 EST, Steve said
Sure, that would be fine. I don't think we've ever had a bike at Winter Camp before. Video Game systems we've had plenty of times.

On Saturday, 23-Dec-2006 00:36:09 EST, Alex Ferencz said
Would it be ok if my dad brings me up on Tuesday Afternoon. I am planning to bring my bike and a video game system. Looking forward to it sounds like fun.
Alex

On Friday, 22-Dec-2006 23:49:47 EST, Steve said
That was, of course, me earlier. I have seen John Ferencz too now, so Alex is paid.
Mark--> there is some discussion about when Alex will come to camp. John would like to ocme too but has to work on Wednesday, so they may come on Tuesday so he can check in. When I know, I'll let you know.

On Friday, 22-Dec-2006 21:54:46 EST, said
There has been a veritable parade on my front porch this evening. So far I've had visits from Ethan Rein and Chris Corbin. I'm still waiting for former Bollman-Oakeser John Ferencz. John isn't coming, but his son Alex is in Wsigau and wanted to check it out.

On Friday, 22-Dec-2006 18:48:02 EST, mike said
sorry steve though that i sent you a email but it never sent.

On Friday, 22-Dec-2006 18:09:18 EST, Lou said
Not sure what time I will be up there yet. but should be early afternoon. Or mid afternoon winter camp time.

On Friday, 22-Dec-2006 17:15:36 EST, Steve said
Sorry Tim. I also found money in my mailbox and on my doorstep for Mike Hodnicki (possibly the bravest guy at winter camp, having left cash in my mailbox with no warning) and Andrew and Corey Curtiss.

On Friday, 22-Dec-2006 16:23:30 EST, mike said
steve i dropped the form off at your house on thursday with payment.

On Friday, 22-Dec-2006 14:43:38 EST, Steve said
No, you save paypal fees. I collect more, probably 44.44 for adults.

On Friday, 22-Dec-2006 14:05:57 EST, John said
Shopping isn't tomorrow, its on the 24th, 10am. Location Sam's club in Southgate, unless something has changed.
I did offer to paypal, but we save paypal fees if I pay cash.

On Friday, 22-Dec-2006 12:59:17 EST, TIm said
hey - What time is shopping tomorrow?

On Friday, 22-Dec-2006 11:55:10 EST, Tim said
Hey I'm not on the roster and I paid :(

On Friday, 22-Dec-2006 11:00:56 EST, Steve said
Just did the Roster. There are 30 people on it, including what I consider credible promises. Those who I have reason to believe are attending but haven't paid are Aaron Ankiel, Jason Licht, Rob Murphy, Ethan Morlock, Chris Corbin, Mike Hodnicki, Ethan Rein, Lou Pezet, and, of course, John Howey.
For those who appear on my credible list, please let me know if I'm wrong about you. I believe that Ethan Rein and Jason have checks in the mail. Anyone else?

On Friday, 22-Dec-2006 11:00:09 EST, Steve said
That's awesome news Lou! When do you think you're coming up on the 26th. Will you have time to help put out some big X's?

On Thursday, 21-Dec-2006 15:33:51 EST, Lou said
I am planning on coming from the 26th till probally just after lunch on the 28th. And with shopping on sunday this year I can actually make it.

On Thursday, 21-Dec-2006 13:36:38 EST, Steve said
I spoke with Paul again last night. The arrangements are such that he will be attending Winter Camp full time.

On Wednesday, 20-Dec-2006 15:50:05 EST, Steve said
I just got a call from Paul Kupser. His uncle passed away yesterday. Funeral arrangements are not yet known, but there will likely be some complications as his uncle lived in Maryland. Paul may be missing for part of Winter Camp. As I know more I'll keep you informed.

On Wednesday, 20-Dec-2006 12:55:13 EST, Steve said
I added Jonas Lowe and Tim Hunt to the paid list, since they both paid.

On Monday, 18-Dec-2006 13:24:27 EST, Brad said
Wish I could be there for the 30th, but I will be in the Windy City of Chicago.

On Monday, 18-Dec-2006 10:41:10 EST, Steve said
I heard from Ethan Rein. Still hoping to hear from more, but I guess we'll see.

On Friday, 15-Dec-2006 21:53:46 EST, Hanz and Franz said
We're here to pump
YOU
up

On Friday, 15-Dec-2006 19:02:13 EST, Lou said
I also have a couple of playground/activity balls. I think they just need to be pumped up.

On Friday, 15-Dec-2006 18:57:56 EST, Lou said
The shot put is sitting in my shed. I will trade it for one doctors note ;) or a puppy sitter.

On Friday, 15-Dec-2006 18:44:29 EST, Steve said
yeah, it's kind of an ugly orangy-yellow color. I think Al Oakes might have left it at my house on the distant past. I think your cannonball will do nicely.
I've heard from Ethan Morlock, Jonas Lowe, Corey Curtiss, and Andrew Curtiss that they are planning to attend.

On Friday, 15-Dec-2006 10:07:58 EST, Doug said
I wasn't aware that wintercamp had it's own shot-put. I do however have an eight pound cannon ball that would suffice.

On Thursday, 14-Dec-2006 20:50:42 EST, Steve said
Yesterday's emails have, at least so far, netted me three potential attendees.

On Thursday, 14-Dec-2006 15:43:20 EST, Mark--) said
I'm on WC Squares, and it is indeed moving forward.

On Thursday, 14-Dec-2006 13:55:49 EST, Steve said
A few weeks ago we set up a schedule for Winter Camp and there were quite a few activities and events that were selected. At the moment, I'm not sure they are all on track. Can someone who is helping with an event post an updated. I've included what I think I know about each event below:
4-Way Volleyball - needs a youth and adult coordinator, confirmation that Paul has the nets.
Arrowman Bingo - I know Mr. Bollman is working on this one. Needs a youth coordinator.
Blind Hike - needs a youth coordinator (or two, one for each), possibly an adviser.
Boat Building - I believe Mr. Kupser is bringing equipment. Needs a youth coordinator.
Brownsea Island Games - I know Mr. Rand is working on this. Needs a youth coordinator.
Dodgeball - I don't think anyone is working on this. I have a box of balls at my house, is that all we need? Needs a youth coordinator.
Gamefest - Need to make sure people are aware of this and come prepared. Most likely Messrs Horn, Donohue and Draper have this in hand. Needs a youth coordinator.
Hobby Demo - Needs a youth coordinator.
Kickball - Do we have an appropriate ball? Needs a youth coordinator.
Orientation - Needs an agenda of some sort. Aaron should be the coordinator.
Pyro Battleship - I believe Aaron and Mr. Kupser are working on this. What's the current status?
Rigging Race - I believe Mr. Kupser and Mr. Howey are working this. It needs a youth coordinator. What's the status?
Scout's Own - needs a youth coordinator.
Shipwrecked! - Mr. Hunt is advising. Needs a youth coordinator.
Time capsule ceremony - Has anyone been collecting year end issues? I haven't yet. Needs a youth coordinator.
Winter Camp Future Olympics - Needs a youth coordinator and a shotput. Has anyone seen ours?
Winter Camp Squares - Needs a youth coordinator and 9 squares. Is Mr. Bollman working on this one too?
X Marks the Spot - Needs a youth coordinator. Rules need to be written and puzzles devised. X's need to be finished but are in progress.

On Thursday, 14-Dec-2006 00:26:42 EST, Steve said
Just heard from Mike Hodnicki that he plans to go. I may break out the phone list tomorrow. I did send another email.(P)Unrelated to that, I started work on the x's today. I think they're gong to be pretty sweet. They aren't made out of 4x4's though, they're 2 x 4s. Jeff and I were talking and I'm going to put a hole in the center so they can be bases. Anyone else have any X requests?
They're about 27" on the diagonal which I think means they're just under 20" tall and wide. The corners are cut kind of like a dog-ear fence. I'll probably be doing some painting on Saturday. I'm still thinking Blue and White. Suggestions are welcome.

On Wednesday, 13-Dec-2006 20:40:09 EST, Steve said
not yet.

On Wednesday, 13-Dec-2006 19:15:57 EST, Jeff said
I believe I was the first to register, but am not on the list. It still won't help the youth count.

On Wednesday, 13-Dec-2006 11:44:54 EST, John said
Anymore people register? Attendence looks light...

On Monday, 11-Dec-2006 10:19:29 EST, Mark--) said
If I remember correctly from last year's service project, the camp has a tile saw. There were certainly lots of plastic spacers around as well. And we only did the initial adhesive work--the grouting was left to another day and the rangers.

On Friday, 08-Dec-2006 08:12:23 EST, John said
I have done tiling several times. To do it properly we need a tile saw (which I don't have). The other tools are level, tape measure, adhesive/mastic/mortor spreaders/trowels, plastic spacers are helpful. Its really a two day job though, the tiles need to set overnight before grouting. (Uh oh I think I just excluded myself from the burning fun ;-( )

On Friday, 08-Dec-2006 01:06:21 EST, Steve said
I sent out an email today to the 240 or so members of our chapter who have email asking them to pay soon. I did have to remove the xxx references though, for fear they would get me marked as spam.

On Friday, 08-Dec-2006 00:01:19 EST, Steve Donohue said
For those following along at home, I've just posted the roster of people so far. There are quite a few youth and a few adults who have said they are going who have not yet signed up.

On Wednesday, 06-Dec-2006 23:55:00 EST, Steve said
Dave confirmed that this year's service projects will include brush clearing and burning at a new campsite near Lockwood Lake and more tiling in the Baden Powell House. If anyone has experience and/or tools for tilesetting, he'd like us to show up prepared.
I guess if either of those describes you, it would be good to hear that you have skills and/or tools in advance.

On Monday, 27-Nov-2006 01:15:01 EST, said
Yes! I'd have four if I thought we could get away with it :)

On Monday, 27-Nov-2006 00:12:30 EST, Ethan said
do we have two continental breakfasts on purpose? (29 and 30)

On Sunday, 26-Nov-2006 00:37:19 EST, Steve said
Astute observers may notice that the dinner for day 1 has changed. Mark and I accidentally used Chinese Dinner as two different meals. I put in the Cube Dinner after the Cannonball Lunch just to keep up the shaped theme.

On Friday, 24-Nov-2006 23:35:26 EST, Steve said
Much of the planning was completed today. I'll put up my notes and stuff over the next 12-14 hours.

On Thursday, 23-Nov-2006 23:47:24 EST, Steve said
I received three more payments yesterday.

On Thursday, 23-Nov-2006 19:55:52 EST, Kupser said
The end of my street is blocked off on the Telegraph side. So keep an eye out for the Orange signs which shows the alternate route to my street. Telegraph south/bound to Van Horn. turn right on Van Horn about a half mile down on the left side is Arsenal. turn left on Arsenal and go down about 3/4ths of a mile until Matilda on the left hand side. My house is about 3/4ths the way down on the Left hand side. Single story red brick / white vinyl sided ranch style. The address is 25966 Matilda Ave. Flat Rock, Mi 48134. The address is located on the green mail box at curb side. Also my black Ford Ranger truck will be parked out in front of my house.

On Thursday, 23-Nov-2006 12:32:57 EST, Steve said
I think we start with the tic-tac-toe follow the clues event. We could also bring along some poles to use the x's as uprights for frisbee golf by drilling a 1/2 - 3/4 hole and fitting them with conduit. The same idea could be used to make them part of an obstacle course (two x's makes a low hurdle or low crawl.
We could also use two of them (with poles to make a goal for soccer or other events.
I'm beginning to wonder how we've survived this long without giant Xs.

On Sunday, 19-Nov-2006 14:38:25 EST, Steve said
I was thinking about doing something with the whole X X X thing and had the idea that maybe we could have a giant tic tac toe board with the pieces being something you had to find or earn as part of the event. Just to make sure X wins, all the pieces would be x's, just different colors.
So I'm thinking each X is 2-3' tall and made with a 4 x 4 or something similar. There's a big stand in front of the building (also 4 x 4s) that is there all week. You win the event, you place the X.
Alternately, it could be one event with clues pointing to the location of the x's and the teams have to find and transport the x's back to the cabin to place them.
I guess if we had the big x's we could find other uses for them too.

On Sunday, 19-Nov-2006 10:56:43 EST, Steve said
I'd really like to see us ditch a meal this year. we did it partially last year but not really. Most days we could probably have a brunch, dinner and snack without losing much.

On Saturday, 18-Nov-2006 19:05:46 EST, said
Family Day sounds like a good idea...

On Thursday, 16-Nov-2006 14:51:45 EST, Steve said
I've got a bunch of mostly manuals and some flyers. I'm heading out to the chapter meeting tonight. Not sure how well I'll do with the promoting on account of being sick, but we'll see.

On Wednesday, 15-Nov-2006 10:08:31 EST, Steve said
We've received one payment so far, Jeff Rand. The chapter meeting is tomorrow night, maybe we'll get lucky. It appears there will not be a December chapter meeting which I think impacts our attendance negatively. We'll have to see.

On Monday, 06-Nov-2006 21:00:07 EST, Jeff said
There are some ideas in the October issue of Boys Life of a war game variety that might be fun at Winter Camp. These activities were used basis for starting Scouting 100 years ago.

On Monday, 30-Oct-2006 12:05:45 EST, Ethan said
A family day sounds neat, especially with a good meal attached to it.

On Sunday, 29-Oct-2006 22:14:36 EST, Steve said
I know at least one family won't make that day - mine. Kristie is attending a wedding. She was hoping any family things we did would be on the 29th.
I think typically Trout Lake is in use that weekette. If we could crash into one, i'd suggest Jack Lord which is actually in much better repair than Trout Lake. The lodge is actually considering a "makeover" for Trout Lake because much of it, especially the bathrooms, is in ough shape.

On Sunday, 29-Oct-2006 22:03:08 EST, Jeff said
An idea for December 30: Why not continue our trend of WCXX and WCXXV and have a family event? How appropriate celebrating 30 on the 30th. We could use Trout Lake or Draper Cabins (restrooms available) for a simple banquet of 100% fresh, whole ingreient foods. Along with this set up the Trout Lake playground for all - Volleyball, 4-square, tetherball, dodgeball, shooting hoops, kickball, hopscotch, etc. Events could start at 2PM, with meal at 5PM.

On Thursday, 19-Oct-2006 22:51:28 EDT, Steve said
We passed out fliers and registration forms at the chapter meeting tonight. Looked like there was a lot of interest. We'll have to see how it goes.

On Thursday, 19-Oct-2006 12:39:46 EDT, Steve D. said
As you can see on the form, I bumped the prices up a buck for each, making it 39.39 for youth and 43.43 for the adults. The problem for the youth is that the next prime number is 41.41, which seemed a might excessive (3.03 vs. 1.01 for the adults).
The last few years we've had a "pre-planning meeting" around now to try to get some theme ideas nailed down and make things smoother at the planning meeting (which really becomes just a check of previous work). Are we going to do something like that? I think if we did it on the evening of Nov 4 (to avoid UoS and MI/ChIP) or the afternoon of Nov 5 it would be good.

On Thursday, 28-Sep-2006 22:51:46 EDT, Kupser said
I think that it would be cool if the prices for this years Winter Camp were prime numbers, such as 37.37 for the youth and the 43.43 for the adults.

On Tuesday, 26-Sep-2006 22:55:24 EDT, Kupser said
The planning meeting will be held at my house on November 24th, 2006.

On Tuesday, 26-Sep-2006 22:53:15 EDT, Kupser said
Does pig latin count. My guess is that some would use inapropriate forms of sign language towards one another.

On Sunday, 24-Sep-2006 20:39:07 EDT, Jeff said
Some thoughts for Winter Camp XXX:
(1) Real food for a day or for the entire weekette - all food items purchased must be single ingredients
(2) No English used for a day - any other language is permissible

On Wednesday, 16-Aug-2006 15:13:27 EDT, Jeff said
Looking forward to winter.

On Sunday, 06-Aug-2006 10:25:27 EDT, Yifat Horowitz said

On Wednesday, 02-Aug-2006 00:41:22 EDT, Kupser said
N.O.A.C. is great.

On Wednesday, 02-Aug-2006 00:41:22 EDT, Kupser said
N.O.A.C. is great.

On Friday, 14-Jul-2006 12:33:01 EDT, Kupser said
My dad is working on them and they look great. he has sanded them down to clean off the rough outer shell. Repainted the letters white again with exterior paint. And is now throughly applying exterior polyurithane to seal it from nature's elements. I have bought and cut the treated wood for the soon to be revitalized signs to be attached to. I figure that it we bury a piece of treated in the ground and then bolt the originals to them than the rotting of the originals at their bottoms will slow down considerably. Three of the signs can be relocated exactly to where they were but with the expantion of the circle two will have to be adjusted when those time capsules are dug up. I'm hoping that Jeff Rand can tell me which time capsule is next so that the area and marker sign could be preped accordingly.

On Wednesday, 12-Jul-2006 22:53:05 EDT, Martin Church said
I am glad you are taking care of my CHR signs. I loved those signes as a kid and ran into them as a Summer Camp staff member. So be kind to them.

On Monday, 10-Jul-2006 23:02:58 EDT, Ethan said
Great to hear, Paul.

On Monday, 10-Jul-2006 18:39:59 EDT, Kupser said
I have retrieved the C.H.R. signs from the site and the big sign from thew attic of B.C. with the help of both Aaron A. and Mark R. While we were back there we enlarged the site to about three times as big as it previously was. Also marked the spots of where the signs used to be as so that in the fall the originals can be relocated in their correct spots. As not to mess up the locations of the time capsules. I will post the progress of the signs as that I just dropped them off at my dad's today. He stated that there he will clean them up, repaint them, and then polyurithane them. Updates to follow.

On Tuesday, 04-Jul-2006 22:14:13 EDT, Ethan said
This is a year for the future Olympics, right? I'm going to start preparing. And listening to Opera.

On Tuesday, 04-Jul-2006 02:40:44 EDT, ben ackerman said
i ben ackerman am being held against my will by paul and aaron to go to winter camp XXX

On Monday, 08-May-2006 18:46:11 EDT, Kupser said
I and a few other past Winter Campers promoted Winter Camp at the Spring Conclave to a very tired croud of candidates. I hope some of them were paying at least half attention and still remember some of what we were telling them.

On Monday, 03-Apr-2006 01:39:21 EDT, Ethan said
A winter Camp university class that I think could really come off well is something along the lines of 'how to write your own ceremony.' I know there are some veteren ceremony scribes among the winter camp crew, and I don't think the lodge has had many self written ceremonies in a while.

On Friday, 03-Mar-2006 00:45:43 EST, Steve said
Happy birthday to the winner of one of Winter Camp's most unusual arguments.

On Wednesday, 15-Feb-2006 01:22:33 EST, Ethan said
I think it would be neat to have a dutch oven cooked meal at Winter Camp. It could really be any meal, but there are some cool one pot breakfasts out there.

On Sunday, 12-Feb-2006 18:52:13 EST, Escha Eagle 6 said
Winter Camp was one of the highlights of my 2005 year. Thank you for inviting me. I have some things I will make for Winter Camp XXX. If you need help in planning or executing something---Count me in!
Have a great year! Escha

On Sunday, 05-Feb-2006 13:03:16 EST, John said
I can't they have all been changed back.....
Seriously, I don't remember what I was thinking about when I wrote that.....

On Thursday, 02-Feb-2006 20:55:23 EST, said

On Saturday, 28-Jan-2006 15:26:36 EST, Steve said
I think Paul's original point was badly stated, but valid. If you don't participate in the planning meeting, then your impact on the planning process is reduced.
I'd like specific examples of revised history. I know of only one thing that has been revised and one set of pages/references that have been excised. In other words, put up or shut up.

On Saturday, 28-Jan-2006 11:10:43 EST, John said
"Also if you are not at the planning meeting than you can not make the suggestion or can not help plan for the meals. And the votes are final at the day afer Thanksgiving planning session."
Sounds like some one's been curling up with their Jeff Rand Institute of Leadership book a little too much.
Hmm..final nothing is ever final when it comes to camp.
Since we can't plan outside the meeting..Steve please deactive any website features that might impact the future. Past history (revised) of course is fine.
Beware a gWo resurgence.

On Wednesday, 25-Jan-2006 23:38:49 EST, Steve said
It would, by the way, be a very rare day to have an actual food item voted on. Generally, the cooks/leaders have a field day when it comes to the actual items served. It could be that your referencing the "Renegade Lunch" we put on the list a few years ago as a joke. It was never the actual lunch for the day - it was specifically added as a joke to break the no burgers and some of the Winter Camp History meals.

On Wednesday, 25-Jan-2006 19:13:22 EST, Steve said
Who knew that Winter Camp would turn out to be the blue pill?

On Wednesday, 25-Jan-2006 17:42:36 EST, Dave said
Always a successful gambit.

On Tuesday, 24-Jan-2006 21:49:50 EST, Kupser said
Both of these are valid points but you should not try to plan anything for Wintercamp this far ahead. Also if you would like to present an idea or to increase your idea's vote than encourage that more youth attend on the planning day.

On Tuesday, 24-Jan-2006 18:12:36 EST, Lou said
I totally disagree with the "if you are not at the planning meeting than you can not make the suggestion or can not help plan for the meals." Some of us have jobs that prevent attendance at the meetings. Part of the reason this forum (I believe) is to present idea's.

On Tuesday, 24-Jan-2006 14:30:59 EST, said

On Monday, 23-Jan-2006 23:01:38 EST, Dave said
That's bull Paul..they were voted on at least once and then removed...so me know that they don't do that at meeting.

On Monday, 23-Jan-2006 21:56:42 EST, Kupser said
Also there will be more than the one meeting for planning so anyone can show up and suggest things then. Dates and times to follow, after I have talked and confirmed with my youth and his schedual. Until then Kupser

On Monday, 23-Jan-2006 21:44:02 EST, Kupser said
There is a lot of good ideas listed below. But in the terms of the hambugers I see that they are being pressed. If you want burgers, than you advise, until then you do not have the last say and agreement with your youth in charge. Also if you are not at the planning meeting than you can not make the suggestion or can not help plan for the meals. And the votes are final at the day afer Thanksgiving planning session.

On Tuesday, 17-Jan-2006 11:05:53 EST, Steve D. said
Manuals have always been kind of hit or miss. I do think having them earlier is a worthy goal though, particularly if we're going to have a big theme or events where people could improve the flavor with costumes. Not even the Oak will have the right hat if he doesn't know which one(s) to bring. I would guess we've had manuals early a handful of times since their inception. It's a good goal though.

On Tuesday, 10-Jan-2006 15:54:36 EST, Ethan said
I feel bad that we didn't have manuals before camp this year. I think that would be a good goal for winter camp XXX.

On Monday, 09-Jan-2006 17:03:08 EST, Steve said
The question isn't whether we could do hamburgers it's why would we? We'd be spending extra time and effort just to break one of the longest traditions. Is anyone hurt by the lack of hamburgers? Is anyone served by their inclusion?
You can argue that your statement is metaphor, but it doesn't really hold water. We do different things every year even if they are the same title. For example, I thought Battle Chess played very differently than it had in previous years. I think the time capsule has become much more than it was ten years ago both in terms of what we put in and in the burial ceremony. I'm still not in shape to make that hike, but I want to be.
I think we should find ways to improve some of our traditional activities rather than cut them out altogether. What if the Blind Hike was different and people were put in pairs to leave 5 mins apart all with the same goal? When they arrive, they wait. When they're all there they choose a leader and see if they can get back faster. The leader could then use other resources on the team to help with the hike. Instead of a walk in the dark it becomes an exercise in teamwork and leadership.
The thing I think we forget sometimes is that while these activities may seem boring and hackneyed to us, there are people who are participating in them for the first time. I think this is a bigger issue than we realize since we don't always explain the hows and whys since it's "the same old thing" and everyone should "know" how it works.

On Monday, 09-Jan-2006 16:10:05 EST, Dave said
But amongst the current attendees...hamburgers does somewhat equate to a spectacular thing.

On Monday, 09-Jan-2006 16:05:43 EST, John said
Thanks for your input BB. And no hamburgers wasn't the spectacular thing I had in mind. The spectacular thing and hamburgers were two different issues.

On Saturday, 07-Jan-2006 16:23:02 EST, said
Hamburgers = spectacular? You are delusional.

On Thursday, 05-Jan-2006 18:36:02 EST, Ethan said
Winter Camp XIX may not have been innovative in terms of the evnets we had, but we did do some new things with a few snack eliminations, activities planned before breakfast, later meals, and other things. I think we can learn a lot for next year from the way winter camp xxix was timed.

On Thursday, 05-Jan-2006 15:50:10 EST, Steve said
I think it would be foolish to change the schedule just because we've done things before. We had kicked Casino Night to the curb because it was played, but it turned out that it wasn't. I would agree that XXIX was not the most innovative in terms of planned activities but most people still seemed to have a good time at most activities.

On Thursday, 05-Jan-2006 11:32:14 EST, John said
If we can make Pizzas for 30, do a 50 state banquet, or the mother of all meals the 162, we can make burgers for 30. You'd probably have to wait in line a bit and server the burgers as they cooked. Each camper would then get their burger and do the condiments themselves.
I am basically saying we shouldn't keep/break any tradition sacred....let me put it this way when I saw the schedule for XIX I couldn't tell it was XIX, IX, or XVIII. It just looked to similar. Maybe I have delusions of granduer, but I think XXX should have something spectacular, and stand out. I am not sure what exactly that is, it just should be big, grandiose and a bit zany.

On Thursday, 05-Jan-2006 01:54:44 EST, Ethan said
I think having a go at the winter camp XIV style of less planning, more pick up events at camp would be worth a shot. At least for a day, or something. Like a choose your own adventure day.

On Wednesday, 04-Jan-2006 22:00:41 EST, Steve said
We actually discussed catering during the WCFS meeting. I don't know if we came to a resolution. One suggestion was that we might ask some volunteers to cook the meal (people from our lodge or chapter who don't normally attend Winter Camp).
As for burgers, why? Do you really think we have the equipment/expertise to make burgers for 30? I see it as a lot of questionably quicked burgers, a smoke-filled cabin and maybe a grease fire.
Right now, I think not having burgers is good because it is a stupid tradition. It really doesn't get in anyone's way except during the meal planning which means it *might* cost us twenty minutes a year. Not bad for a long-standing tradition in a group which promotes traditions as one of its objectives.

On Wednesday, 04-Jan-2006 11:15:07 EST, John said
Sorry that was me who posted that I want Burgers(at least half pounders and all the trimmings (30?) and no blind hike.
I realize that won't happen because we are traditionally conventional--we only do new stuff if it fits conventionally into camp.
I think there should be an anti-obedience day--we server burgers, and sloth all day.
If we do a banquet-CATER it'd be nice not to have to cook.

On Tuesday, 03-Jan-2006 22:03:24 EST, Ethan said
anyone want to help write a youth leader handbook? I think it could really help out.

On Tuesday, 03-Jan-2006 22:01:34 EST, Ethan said
I hereby place myself as adviser to activities, and by that, I mean that I will help the youth leader make sure we have things covered for all the events - mostly rules for events and props needed for things to happen properly.

On Tuesday, 03-Jan-2006 21:11:12 EST, Lou said
The cheaper alternative to pastry mats is parchment paper. you cut it to fit the sheet or bowl or whatever and then you can set up multiple batches of cookies (for example) and only use a couple of pans. Plus very little clean up.

On Tuesday, 03-Jan-2006 10:10:13 EST, Steve D. said
This year I would say the average meal was better than it's ever been. I think the integration of the theme was better implemented in the menu than in the activities though (the notable exception probably being the Greco-American Lunch).
I do think we need a single theme that allows some costuming/decorations. Romans would be cool. So would Oak's suggestion of Hawaii/Surfing.
For XXX I think we could use at least one really big pot, something in the multi-gallon capacity and some mixing bowls. John's cutting mats were awesome even if some bonehead did decide they were disposable and pitch one. Lou also suggested some pastry sheets (I think that's what he called them) for baking, particularly cookies and stuff like that.
Paul - can you hold out the knives? I'd like to see about sharpening them. My dad has a big sharpening system we might be able to put into service.

On Monday, 02-Jan-2006 23:25:13 EST, Jamie said
with a roman theme we could raze another village or something.....

On Monday, 02-Jan-2006 12:25:18 EST, Dave said
No..that's the frequent implication. FYI Banquets are a big pain in the butt...what about a killer dinner (a la the Vigil Breakfast) in lieu of "how many dishes can me make."

On Monday, 02-Jan-2006 12:15:45 EST, Kristie said
I get that Dave, but are you saying that everything at and about winter camp is the best it's ever been each and every year?

On Monday, 02-Jan-2006 11:21:00 EST, said
I think we should break some traditions for WC XXX. Serve Hamburgers (WC style) and NOT do the blind hike.

On Monday, 02-Jan-2006 05:13:15 EST, Dave said
Kristie..it's done every year..it's called...dun dun dun...Winter Camp!

On Monday, 02-Jan-2006 01:13:34 EST, Kristie said
I thought it might be cool if WC XXX was a Best of the Best kind of event where you pick some of the best meals/activities from Winter Camps gone by and do them again. You could still pick whatever theme suits your fancy and just rename the meal/activity. I think it has potential.

On Monday, 02-Jan-2006 00:59:04 EST, Ethan said
I'm in for a banquet of some kind at Winter Camp XXX. One where the scout uniform is worn. It should be fun to prepare, so as not to make the most of the day that it will take to prepare it a bore for participants. Something along the lines of the salute to the states, historical, or A-Z banquets.

On Monday, 02-Jan-2006 00:59:34 EST, Steve said
Heh. Winter Camp, more fun than your Ordeal...

On Monday, 02-Jan-2006 00:53:36 EST, Ethan said
I bet we could write a pretty cool XXX anniversary ceremony. I'd be in for helping put it together. we could at least do the 90th OA anniversary ceremony, which would have been good this year, oops

On Monday, 02-Jan-2006 00:52:09 EST, Ethan said
I think "Winter Camp, cheaper than your ordeal" would be a cool slogan. Because it is, at least if we keep the price under $40 for youth. It wouldn't be true for adults, but most adults who attended winter camp probably went through their ordeals last century.

On Sunday, 01-Jan-2006 12:41:08 EST, Kristie said
OK, so I have many snowflake bows, snowflake candy for the tops of cupcakes, snowflake cups, napkins, and plates, snowflake window clings and 42 small snowflake picture frames. I thought perhaps you could use them as place cards and use pictures from Wintercamps past.
I fully plan on having an el mediodia party this year. If you would like to hold the planning meeting prior to the party so much the better.

On Sunday, 01-Jan-2006 11:50:17 EST, Ethan said
I'm for an el mediodia party. perhaps it could follow a pre-planning meeting.
For the 30th anniversary, having another go at the universal measurement system would be cool.

On Saturday, 31-Dec-2005 21:04:05 EST, Steve said
Speaking of bashes, during the WCFS meeting we talked about purchasing shirts for WC XXX and about having a "reception/open house" at Trout Lake Cabin (space issues). Dave indicated that Trout Lake would probably be open for us to use.
The other suggestion, which had more to do with Winter Camp as a whole, was to do a Roman theme. Within ten minutes, Jeff and Gordon bickered about who had proposed it.

On Saturday, 31-Dec-2005 21:02:27 EST, Steve said
While we were at camp, Kristie loaded up on some discounted snowflake decor in case we have a 30th anniversary bash. She also hopes to use some of it for an El Mediodia party.

On Saturday, 24-Dec-2005 04:02:53 EST, said


Home Index
Sitemap Apply for Award
Top of Page Search Site
Mail Help

Divider Line

The design and content of this page Copyright (C) 1997-2001 by Steve Donohue for the Winter Camp Future Society
If you believe we are using copyrighted material, please contact the webmaster
All rights reserved