Winter Camp XXXII - 2008
This is the Hobby Log for Winter Camp XXXII. The logs for previous years are still available. Check the Hobby Center for details.
Add an entry
On 6-11-09, "Oak" received a set of GOLF game dice which will complete his 4th new dice game.
- I am bringing extra sets of dice up to camp for some fun games. Keep working on your hobbies!
On June 9th, 2009, Kevin explored the posibility that Mitchell would never act on his hobby of measuring his hairline.
- It has been mentioned that kevin needs a hair cut, and kevin thought what a great time for mitchell to appear out of no where and take his first measurement. Even if it is six monhs late.
On April 18, 2009, Jeff continued collecting hotel toiletries
- I added South Dakota to my list of states for collecting hotel soap during 2009.
During the first 3 months, Steve thwarted Keith's progress.
- Keith has written me several times but the truth is I'm too busy with work and other sites to spend time on the WCU right now. I'll get there soon (I hope). I haven't done much on my own hobby either...
During the first quarter of the year 2009, Mitchell continued to ignore Kevin's hairline.
- Mitchell has still not stopped by to visit Kevin, and take some measurements. Kevin's hair is not getting any longer, so what is taking Mitchell so Long?
On April 3, 2009, Kevin reminded himself that sleeping in every structure needed to still be started!
- I have proceeded no further on my hobby draw than what I started last time, which is nothing. Well actually, I did start the process of compiling a list of structures, but then got side tracked for the last 5 weeks. Geez, how time flies by!
On March 14, 2009, Steve discovered Artscow
- They print full color decks of cards. One back, 52 or 54 different images on the front. Until March 31, they have a discount on printed decks. I may have to rethink my waiting plan...
On February, 27, 2009, Kevin thus far, as not received any measurments on his receeding hairline!!
- I am very disappointed, that Mitchell has not been around to take any measurements yet. I think that Mitchellis losing ground on his hobby!
On February, 27, 2009, Kevin Fox explored what it will take to Sleep in every structure at D-bar-A Scout Ranch
- I finally have started to think about what it will take to sleep in every structure at D-bar-A Scout Ranch. I have come to the realization that it will be a long and grueling task. However, i plan to accomplish this hobby. I believe that i will be doing the outhouses in he cold weather, so that i do not have to endure the smell.
On 2/10/2008, Ethan ordered A unicycle
- Word has it I'll get the thing on Friday
On January 11, 2009, Steve opted to delay further progress
- I have a lot of things I should be doing and thinking about this game is fun and a potentially compelling distraction. I'm about to go on a hiatus for a month (let's see if I can do it).
On January 9, 2009, Steve considered action cards.
- I'm thinking that it may be necessary to add some "action" cards into the mix, cards that allow you to do something you normally couldn't, like affect another players schedule or change the past in an unexpected way. I'm not sure how it will work yet or if it's necessary. What I'm afraid of is that there may not be enough interaction and it may feel like everyone is playing solitaire.
On January 8, 2009, Steve explored the concept further.
- I think one of the things that will happen in the game is that there will be more than one of some events. If you play an event into your current camp which is already in play in a past camp you'll score a bonus marker which will allow you to miss the goal slightly. So if Winter Camp I has Forest Bowling and you play a Forest Bowling in your current camp, then you'll get a bonus marker. If the expected Winter Camp requires 10 food, 10 folks, and 10 fun (not sure what the real attributes will be), then you'll get to win having either 9 or 11 of ONE of those. More markers would give you more variance to win.
On January 7, 2009, Stev began designing his game.
- I think my basic idea is that there are lots of event cards, each of which can score you points in one of three categories. Your goal is to create a Winter Camp that matches the expectations of the perfect camp. You can play events in the current time or you can go back in time to play events and change the expectations of Winter Camp by holding events in the past that then shape the future differently.
The design and content of this page Copyright (C) 1997-2000 by Steve Donohue for the Winter Camp Future Society
If you believe we are using copyrighted material, please contact the webmaster
All rights reserved