Information for Parents
What is Winter Camp?
Winter Camp is a weekette of fun and fellowship held each year between Christmas and New Year's.
As we approach our 50th anniversary, it is no exaggeration to say that Winter Camp is the most successful chapter event in the history of the Order of the Arrow. This is mostly due to the efforts of more than 300 youth and adults who attended and led Winter Camp.
Winter Camp IS Scouting. We use the aims and methods of Scouting in a safe, friendly environment to give Scouts the chance to try new things and use familiar skills in unfamiliar ways all with guidance from caring and experienced advisers.
- Adult Association
- Winter Camp is unusual among Scout activities because youth and adults are both members of teams and participate equally in activity. Most of our advisers were Scouts themselves and quite a few are Eagle Scouts.
- Leadership Development
- Winter Camp presents an opportunity for youth to work with adults who had the same role years ago. The adults understand what's needed to serve as a leader at camp and are great at helping Scouts achieve their goals.
- We have safe outdoor activities every day and provide opportunities, encouragement, and guidance for youth who'd like to spend a night or two outside.
- We call them teams, but Winter Camp has patrols of youth and adults who work together to prepare meals, overcome challenges, and defeat other teams in fun contests.
- Winter Camp first had computer-aided activities and planning in 1978 (no, not a typo) and computers have been used to help plan and as part of the program ever since. There are several advisers at Winter camp who work in fields like computer science, engineering, and mathematics. Some of them were definitely inspired by their participation at Winter Camp.
- Winter Camp has a day of service to camp during the event, but that's not all of it. Winter Campers often fix other things at camp as they go and provide service to our chapter, area, and lodge in a number of different ways.
- Winter Camp provides Scouts with a chance to use their skills in a big way. Our compass courses are in miles and our games use the whole camp. We focus on using skills our members already have in new ways.
- Traditionally Unconventional
- Winter Camp offers the chance for Scouts to use their existing skills in new ways and to develop new activities with a broad range of resources.